Creating a culture of empowerment: What it is, why it matters, and how it will improve your life and business.
Drawing on more than 15 years of leadership at Four Kitchens and other creative organizations, Todd Nienkerk will explain why empowerment is the foundation of all successful teams and demonstrate how the open-source philosophy as modeled by the Drupal community can be applied to organizational culture.
What is empowerment? Why does it matter? How can an organization create a culture of empowerment?
The guiding principles of empowerment:
- Build a company you would want to work for.
- Give people control over their destiny.
- Make trust the center of your culture.
How to cultivate empowerment:
- Personal brands. You shouldn't be afraid that people will leave. If you’re afraid people will become "too good," then you’re not offering something they want — and you know it.
- Go virtual. Allow your team the flexibility to work from home — or anywhere in the world.
- Adopt agile methodologies. Allow teams to self-organize around projects and problems.
- And much, much more...